Galaxy Note 2 N7100 can now be updated to the latest KitKat firmware via Android 4.4.4 LiquidSmooth ROM, which brings the AOSP features in a lightweight and extremely stable release.
A few of the noteworthy features ported to the new Android 4.4.4 release of LiquidSmooth ROM are listed below:
- Linaro 4.9 GCC Toolchain
- O3 Strict-Aliasing & ISO C++11 Mode
- ARM Optimized String Handling Routines
- Linaro and Code Aurora Optimaztions
- Slims DPI on the fly
- Custom animation controls
- TRDS 3.0 (Liquid Blackout in settings)
- Active Display
- Slims QuickSettings
- Halo (Renamed to bubble in settings)
- Ram Bar
- T-Mobile Theme Engine
- Privacy Guard
- Built in SuperUser
- Working wifi Tethering
- Cell Broadcasts
- Slims Configurable Power Menu
- Slims Configurable Nav Bar
- Custom animation controls (Listview)
- LockScreen Notifications
Interested users can go ahead and install the latest Android 4.4.4 based LiquidSmooth ROM on their Galaxy Note 2 using the step-by-step guide posted below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Android 4.4.4 LiquidSmooth ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy Note 2 N7100 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy Note 2 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE: Tap the phone’s Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with latest ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery (v18.104.22.168) installed. Alternatively, install CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly which includes CWM recovery v22.214.171.124. If you are installing the CWM recovery for the first time, check out the video tutorial below, courtesy of The Android Soul:
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
Android 4.4.4 LiquidSmooth ROM
Stepsto InstallAndroid 4.4.4 KitKat onGalaxy Note 2N7100 with LiquidSmooth ROM
Step-1: Download Android 4.4.4 KitKat LiquidSmooth ROM for Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy Note 2 to computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded firmware zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of the phone’s SD card.
Step-4: Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
Step-5: Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the Galaxy Note 2 logo appears on screen.
Step-6: Release all three buttons at the same time to boot into recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
Step-7: Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action.
Step-8: Return to CWM recovery main menu and select Mounts and Storage > Format System and click Yes on next screen to confirm. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition. From the main menu of CWM recovery, go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
NOTE: Flash CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly before you proceed (use step 9). Once CM 10.2 Nightly is flashed, you will have access to CWM recovery v126.96.36.199 and then you can install/flash LiquidSmooth ROM (repeat step 9).
Step-9: Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the LiquidSmooth firmware file that youcopied earlier to the phone’s SD card. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the firmware installation.
Step-10: Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps (gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip)as well.
Step-11: Once Google Apps is also installed, select “+++++Go Back+++++” and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy Note 2 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy Note 2 N7100 is now running on Android 4.4.4 KitKat via LiquidSmooth ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
Related articles : HTC One M8 Gets Android 4.4.4 KitKat (Build 3.28.401.6) with Eye Experience in Europe
Galaxy Note 2 N7100 Gets Android 4.4.4 KitKat via LiquidSmooth ROM